[Maipc] National Phenology Network (as related to garlic mustard blooming alert)

Steve Young syoung4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Apr 2 07:42:55 PDT 2012

FYI. On the topic of tracking plant phenology.

http://www.esajournals.org/doi/abs/10.1890/11-1912.1

Steve
___________________
Stephen L. Young, PhD
Weed Ecologist
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
West Central Research & Extension Center
402 West State Farm Road
North Platte, NE 69101

syoung4 at unl.edu
308-696-6712

Website: http://ipscourse.unl.edu
Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/North-American-Invasive-Plant-Short-Course/181955048542937

Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/NAIPSC

From:
Betsy_Lyman at nps.gov
To:
"Steve Young" <syoung4 at unlnotes.unl.edu>, "maipc" <maipc at lists.maipc.org>,
"maipc-bounces" <maipc-bounces at lists.maipc.org>
Date:
03/29/2012 03:59 PM
Re: [Maipc] National Phenology Network (as related to garlic mustard
blooming alert)

Steve et allus,

USAnpn.org has training videos and info on the type of data they are
looking for, how to collect it, etc. It is geared to citizen scientists as
well as agencies, non-profits, etc.  I strongly recommend MA-IPC, EDDMapS
and others to check out this group's website first before making the
decision to develop something new.  USAnpn.org thought about and worked
out a lot of the issues being brought up in this email stream. This
doesn't mean that there has to be a formal relationship with USAnpn.org,
but I hate to see different systems being created across the country when
there are existing, well thought out and operating systems that can be
used instead. Sometimes a different system needs to be developed, but it's
not clear as yet that this is one of those circumstances.

So I urge MA-IPC and EDDMapS to look more closely at USAnpn.org before
deciding to develop something new. I am looking into USAnpn.org myself so
will be glad to participate in any discussion about and further
development of such a system (or partnership with USAnpn.org) which I too
think is very important.

Betsy
Betsy Lyman
Liaison, Northeast EPMT