[MAIPC] Poison ivy

John Ambler john.ambler at verizon.net
Tue Sep 3 17:45:18 PDT 2013

I regularly get exposed to poison ivy.  I wash three times with Dawn liquid dish detergent as soon as possible.  First a wash with ample detergent to get most off and then scrub twice with Dawn on a washcloth.

For work parties I take large plastic tubs, Dawn, and small Walmart washcloths and have everybody wash.  I take the tubs with water home for disposal so that I don't pollute.  No one has ever gotten poison ivy when they did this, to my knowledge.

For treatment I use Clobetasol ointment, a prescription steroid.  It knocks the inflammation in 3 or 4 days.  Whenever a spot itches, I apply it, up to several times per day.  Cortisone cream does not seem to have any significant effect for me.

Bag and wash clothes and athletic shoes separate from other items and don't touch contaminated surfaces.

I have gotten poison ivy while removing English ivy stems.  Poison ivy often grows along with English ivy.