[MAIPC] 2013-2014 NAIPSC Kicks off!

Steve Young steve.young at unl.edu
Mon Sep 23 19:19:37 PDT 2013

The NAIPSC is starting its fourth season with several new programs!

We're kicking things off with the first annual Water & Weeds Tour that will be tomorrow (September 24) and will highlight current field, greenhouse, and lab research on invasive plants (http://westcentral.unl.edu/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=17f6a7de-4f4a-4b42-aef3-e7c53260ceab&groupId=132070&.pdf). For those who have taken the NAIPSC Field Course, you'll recognize the field sites. If you're in the area, come on out and join us. We're going to hear from Doug Hallum, UNL Hydrogeologist, on developing a man-made pond and the necessary requirements. He has been working with the landowners and will provide a thorough interpretation of his work and how it fits into the larger regional context.

The 2013-2014 NAIPSC Webinar Series is set to begin October 24. Similar to last year, we're going to hear from a wide range of individuals who have some type of connection to invasive plant species. The first 4 webinars for this fall have been scheduled and will no doubt be of interest to you and your programs/work.

The first annual NAIPSC Web Course (WC) is going to be January 22-23, 2014. This is going to be the first (and only) real-time, live course on invasive plants offered entirely online. If you or you know of someone who cannot make our field course in the summer due to time of year or travel constraints, the NAIPSC WC is the answer! Watch the NAIPSC website (http://ipscourse.unl.edu) for further details, including registration.

Finally, for those who REALLY want to get immersed in understanding invasive plants, we have a 15-week college course entitled, "Invasive Plants: Impacts on Ecosystems". This online course is for the practitioner that wants to know more than just how to control invasive plants. Ever wonder about the specific features of invasive plants that allows them to do what they do or what makes certain ecosystems susceptible to invasive plants? What about the legacy effects of invasive plants? These topics and more are covered in this course.

If you haven't already, be sure to join the NAIPSC Online Community (OC) to participate in the webinars and other online activities. The NAIPSC is on Facebook and you can follow the NAIPSC on Twitter.

Steve

Stephen L. Young, PhD
Weed Ecologist
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
West Central Research & Extension Center
402 West State Farm Road
North Platte, NE 69101

Ph: 308-696-6712
http://ipcourse.unl.edu/iwep