[MAIPC] [INVASIVES] WALK WITH AN ECOLOGIST

Richard Gardner rtgardner3 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 5 05:06:24 PDT 2013

Earlier this summer I tagged several plants and agree that the non-native honeysuckles are being heavily knocked back in northern Berks County, PA.  I am not sure if I agree with your assessment of the lignified versus non-lignified tissues and vigorous versus non-vigorous growth as the leaves on many pants are simply dying.  I am seeing witches broom on many bush honeysuckles.  Chlorosis seems to be prevalent throughout.  Leaf shape on infected plants appears to change, making plant identification somewhat confusing. At least on Lonicera japonica, many plants appear to have notched leaves on the outer margins that appears to be herbivory.  Simultaneously with the notching is chlorosis.

If you go to my FB Biocontrol page, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Biocontrol/478613962188654, you will see photos of what I am doing tracking Lonicera maacki, Lonicera morrowii, Lonicera japonica, Perilla frutescens, Ailanthus altissima, Rosa multiflora and others.  One interesting observation is that when I see a heavily diseased woody non-native, I also see the other woody non-natives in contact with it or in close proximity showing the same symptoms.  This is probably related to the ecosystems of origin for these plants being the same or very close together.

One exciting observation is that Ailanthus altissima plants that last summer were heavily infested with Atteva aurea are this year showing chlorosis and dieback.  I am not convinced yet that the dieback is caused by Atteva aurea as the trees are located in a flood plain. and the dieback may be due to other factors.  Mostly this year, I am seeing more Aculops ailanthii than Atteva aurea.  This may change as the season progresses as this has been a very late summer.

As I get time, I will post more photos on FB and write a more thorough account of my observations.

If anyone is in my area and wants to spend a couple hours with me walking along Blue Marsh, it will be appreciated as another perspective is always very good to ensure that my observations are correct.

                                                                                      Richard Gardner

Richard T. Gardner

>________________________________

this year I’m again seeing a lot of honeysuckle leaf blight on Amur honeysuckle
(Lonicera maackii) in the Cincinnati area. One additional wrinkle is that I’m
now seeing it in an area where I’ve also found a lot of dead honeysuckle. This
is an area called Woodland Mound Park, just east of Cincinnati, where I’ve been
working since 2005. I did not collect data there last year, so I don’t know if
the leaf blight led to these particular honeysuckles dying, but let’s just say
that circumstantial evidence is high, since there was a lot of blight all over
the area last year. This is also the first time I’ve seen enough dead
honeysuckles to notice (mainly medium-sized bushes a few feet high).
>Once again, I’ve mainly seen the blight on vigorous growth, i.e., on stems
that haven’t yet lignified.
>I would ask you to again report any sightings of leaf blight you see on any
honeysuckle species. I’ve included a couple of pictures that may help. I spent
the last two weeks in in New England, where I mainly saw Tatarian and Japanese
honeysuckle, and I didn’t notice any leaf blight there.
>================================
>Richard L. Boyce, Ph.D.
>Director,
Environmental Science Program