[MAIPC] Beefsteak plant, (Perilla frutescens), a Growing Control Problem

Richard Gardner rtgardner3 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 24 14:38:24 PDT 2013

Since this plant is in the Lamiaceae (mint) family, has anyone looked at the insects and fungi that are on Monarda didyma and Monarda fistulosa?  This summer I saw powdery mildew knocking down the Monarda we have at home and other Lamiaceae in places I walk.  Apple mint, Menthasuaveolens, was especially hard hit in one area I walk.  Monarda fistulosa was hammered locally, too.

On another plant - Oriental bittersweet, do the leaves begin going chlorotic as the fruit reaches maturity?  I am seeing severe yellowing locally.  Unfortunately, since this is the first year I am tracking this plant, I have no experience on which to base my observations as fall begins.

Richard T. Gardner