[MAIPC] vinegar for removing wavy leaf basket grass seeds?

Richard Gardner rtgardner3 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 7 05:41:36 PDT 2015

  Has anyone tried using vinegar, either supermarket strength or horticultural, to remove wavy leaf basket grass seeds from clothing?  I know that vinegar tears up thistle, which is a hairy plant.  Failing that - what about a slightly basic detergent or even the addition of a mild caustic to the laundry when dealing with seed covered clothes?
  Having an easy seed removal/destruction method for non-native hitchhikers is important to the preservation of our trails and other parkland.  Living near the Appalachian Trail, it is easy to see that hikers are the primary cause for the spread of Japanese stilt grass and garlic mustard in Pennsylvania.  An easy method remove seeds from clothing would at least slow down the spread.  This would give us time to find ways of eradicating the various hitchhikers.

                                                                                             Richard Gardner