[MAIPC] Another Non-Native Mulberry: Morus australis

Judy Fulton jfulton5 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 18:53:22 PDT 2015

Has anyone been seeing Morus australis (Chinese mulberry), a mulberry
tree/shrub that seems to have recently arrived on these shores? You can
find information on the species in the Flora of China at
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=200006380. In
addition, people have been submitting photos of this species to a plant
identification Facebook page
(https://www.facebook.com/groups/156706504394635/search/?query=Morus%20australis).

Botanist Charlie Davis and I run an informal plant ID lab twice a month
at the Natural History Society of Maryland, and attendees have brought
M. australis samples to two out of the last three sessions. One specimen
came from Meadow Lane (an alley near W. University Parkway) in Baltimore
and another from Old Hanover Road in Reisterstown, MD. Attached are
photos from the sapling brought to the lab from Old Hanover Road on 8/10/15.

Apparently there have been increasing numbers of sightings in N. America
although Charlie said that sometimes specimens have been misidentified
as Morus alba. Note that M. australis leaves vary from entire to deeply
lobed, and its lobes tend to be thinner/longer than M. alba's. Some
people have even thought that the M. australis plants were figs based on
leaf shape although other characteristics are clearly quite different.
It has also been reported that M. australis is hard to kill -- that it
regrows with multiple stems if cut down; however, I don't know whether
any herbicides were used concurrently.

I'm thinking that this might become the next invasive Morus species.

Judy

Judith P. Fulton
Master Gardener
University of Maryland Extension