[MAIPC] Phalaris arundinacea

Strassman, Andrew astrassman at usgs.gov
Thu Jul 9 10:22:19 PDT 2015

For anyone interested, here are two examples from the Barataria Preserve of
Jean Lafitte National Park:

Invasive clones (darker central circles):
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.8740941,-90.237234,306m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Native clone (darker central circles):
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.771317,-90.13074,306m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

While a little difficult to tell from google, these are exceptionally
different types of vegetation with the invasive clones being monotypic
stands edge to edge that you cannot walk into compared to mixed species
stands that can be easily traversed edge to edge for the native clones.

Thanks,
Andrew

--
Andrew Strassman
Biologist - Resource Mapping and Spatial Analysis Team
astrassman at usgs.gov

"... "What good is it?" If the land mechanism as a whole is good, then
every part is good, whether we understand it or not."

Aldo Leopold: Round River