[MAIPC] Searching for Sampling Sites

Adam Mitchell amit at udel.edu
Fri Jun 5 13:06:17 PDT 2015

All,

Good afternoon. First-time mailer to the list, and excited to participate.
I'm a PhD student in the Department of Entomology and Wildlife Ecology at
the University of Delaware, working for Dr. Tallamy on how non-native
plants shift trophic relationships and food webs in arthropod communities.

I'm looking around in the Delmarva areas, and was wondering if anyone knew
of any properties (public or private) that would have large patches of
non-native vegetation (500 x 500 ft areas that contain dense stands of
non-native vegetation, or make up at least 50% of the plant community in
said area), and and would be willing to have a graduate student and his
technicians sample for arthropods and plants. Sampling disturbance would be
minimal (digging holes for pitfalls, taking a few liters of soil and litter
for analyses, and collecting insects from sites). I'm specifically looking
for grasslands, meadows, and scrub habitat to sample, but will also sample
forest edges, roadsides (if safe), and agricultural fields.

Any help with the following plant species would be appreciated:

1) Crown vetch (Coronilla varia).

2) Reed canary grass (Phalaris arundinacea). Looking for canary grass
outside of wetlands if possible!

3) Japanese stiltgrass (Microstegium vimineum). Looking for forest edges or
areas of open canopy.

4) Callery pear (Pyrus calleryana)

5) Bush honeysuckle (Lonicera spp., not Japanese honeysuckle).

6) Japanese knotweed (Fallopia japonicus)

Some of these species are easy to find in the patches or habitats
requested, others less so. I'm preferably looking for sites within 100
miles of Newark, DE, but will consider further sites if necessary.

Please contact me if you have any places in mind, and the contact info of
the owners of said property. Thank you in advance, and I look forward to
hearing from you!

--
Adam Mitchell
Associate Wildlife Biologist ®