[MAIPC] Faith's most recent blog - asks California to regulate firewood

Phytodoer at aol.com Phytodoer at aol.com
Sun Sep 27 15:02:39 PDT 2015

Dear forest pest mavens and others,

Last week it was announced that the goldspotted oak borer had been detected
 at a small town north of the city of Los Angeles.  I attach the official
press release for those who can receive attachments.

This new find represents a long "jump" from previously known populations of
 the insect.  Authorities are pretty sure it occurred as the result of the
movement of firewood.  Other outbreaks detected earlier near  Idyllwood
(Riverside County) and Weir Canyon (Orange County) were also  probably
established by firewood movement.  Indeed, the initial San Diego  County population
was probably established as the result of movement of firewood  from
southern Arizona.

While many Californians have made strenuous efforts to educate people not
to move firewood, several key players have, in my view, failed to  take
much-needed actions.  The California Department of Food and  Agriculture has
considered but refused to adopt regulations governing the  movement of
firewood.  The National Park Service and USDA Forest Service  have not adopted
nation-wide policies on firewood.  And APHIS' efforts to  develop a
firewood-industry certification program has not yet produced  results.

I ask all of you to help bring about the necessary regulations - which I
see as essential backup to the outreach efforts.

Faith

You can read this most recent blog at _www.cisp.us_ (http://www.cisp.us)
....  earlier blogs posted at  that site also address the failure to act by
California and National Park  Service.