[MAIPC] Faith's most recent blog & other information

Phytodoer at aol.com Phytodoer at aol.com
Sun Aug 21 16:04:43 PDT 2016

Hello, Tree Pest  Mavens!
Lots of news  today.
1) I have posted my  most recent blog at _www.cisp.us_
(http://www.cisp.us/) .  This blog discusses the status of  biocontrol for invasive plant
species – at what we all hope is the end of  lengthy delays in approving proposed
biocontrol  agents.
2) A reminder that  the Continental Dialogue on Non-Native Forest Insects
and Diseases will hold its  annual meeting in Indianapolis in November.
Registration and other information about  the meeting are at
https://www.arborday.org/programs/pcf/partnering-event-continental-dialogue.
cfm
https://continentalforestdialogue.org/continental-dialogue-meeting-november-
2016/
Our agenda includes presentations or discussions  on
·         Current pest issues in Indiana and the broader MidWest, e.g.,
thousand cankers disease and Asian  longhorned beetle
·         Post-EAB invasion wave efforts to protect or restore both urban
and  wildland forests
·         The variety of citizen-engagement programs now under  way
·         Efforts  to improve federal policies  re: forest pests – possible
amendments to the Farm bill, other approaches,  engaging the new
Administration (whoever wins!)
3) the group  sciencedebate.org is trying to get scientific issues
incorporated into the  Presidential campaign.  They have  sent a set of 20 questions
to the 4 main candidates.  These questions include questions about
innovation and research; climate change, biodiversity, ocean health, and water;
education and the internet; mental health and public health; energy and
nuclear  power; and space.
I think this is a  great way for everyone to help elevate the discussion
around the election.  Remember – it is through POLITICS  that Americans decide
what issues are important for government to  address.
You can sign their  petition, view the 20 questions, and learn which
scientific associations are  part of the team at _www.sciencedebate.org_
(http://www.sciencedebate.org/)
My question – why  are so few of the biology-oriented associations part of
this initiative?  Associations that have joined include  the AIBS, ESA,
Botanical Society of America, Organization of Biological Field  Stations and the
Wildlife Society.