[MAIPC] A threat greater than WLBG

HTI Gmail historictimekeepers at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 10:07:18 PST 2016

I just wrote a draft of a public comment for the PATC President on a
proposal now before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.  While the
proximal issue is focused on the Appalachian Trail in SW Virginia, the
developer proposes significant  changes to the  Forest Mgt Plan for the
Jefferson National Forest.  The developer and FERC propose that  the
existing Forest Mgt Plan for the  Jefferson National Forest be modified
to allow essentially unfettered crossings for infrastructure projects
such as pipelines and power transmission.

This is a blatant attempt to weaken the well oiled Forest Management
planning process all of our organizations have worked so hard to put in
place.  The current process, while possibly viewed as inconvenient by
developers, has resulted in excellent infrastructure development while
minimizing the impacts on the Mid Eastern Forest.   The existing forest
mgt process is NO threat to infrastructure development. We as a country
simply do not need to keep construction costs low for energy
corporations by allowing damage to the forest in an uncontrolled
manner.  Maybe they have to forgo a couple company trips to the Post
Ranch Inn; but big deal!

As you know, these Forest Mgt. Plans are the primary mechanism through
which the values and views of all non commercial forest users are heard
and addressed!

If this modification to current requirements is approved, we can expect
it to become policy on all public lands.  It is the camel's nose inside
the tent.

The FERC Docket No. is CP 16-10-000.

The Appalachian Trail Conservancy is taking the lead on this issue and
submitted a detailed response to the Draft Environmental Impact
Statement for the proposed Mountain Valley Pipeline.  ATC is accustomed
to working with FERC and developers to accommodate the access needed for
critical infrastructure while protecting the AT. But this attempt to
attack the Forest Mgt. Plans is new and is a threat to us all.

For whatever reason, we (PATC) just became aware of this on Monday and I
spent yesterday researching and writing a draft response for the PATC
President.  Unfortunately, the deadline for public comment is tomorrow.

  I can tell leaders of any organization concerned about this issue who
to contact at ATC.  The word is out late, but the process is far from
completed.

Regards,

Dewey Clark
Club Naturalist