[MAIPC] Phellodendron amurense Treatment Options

Richard Gardner rtgardner3 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 08:53:18 PDT 2016

Drill and fill is safer and more contained than hack and squirt. I would drill 1/4" holes at least through the vascular cambium every 2" of girth. Then I would spray 50% glyphosate into the holes.

An alternative worth trying would be to drill a 3/8" hole into the center of the tree. Then fill the hole with 50% glyphosate. I tried this with Ailanthus, but the sap was so sticky it grabbed the drill bit after @ 2". If this tree does not grab the drill bit, drilling into the center may be a safer and less intensive method than hack and squirt or drill and fill.

                                                                                      Richard Gardner