[MAIPC] Fallopia japonica

Judy Fulton jfulton5 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 09:00:24 PDT 2016

I was recently sent the attached two photos of what looks like Fallopia
japonica (aka Polygonum cuspidatum and Reynoutria japonica), which were
taken in May. Apparently, the homeowners, whose property borders Back
River in Baltimore County near Rock Creek Park, Maryland, are quite
pleased with their decision to plant “Japanese bamboo” to reduce erosion.

I’m concerned because Fallopia japonica can live in salt environments,
such as salt marshes. I’ve been informed that the mouth of Back River is
at the southern edge of the fresh water zone of the Chesapeake Bay with
average salinity of 6 ppt, but salinity can range from <1 ppt to 10 ppt
depending on weather conditions.  I’m assuming that the pieces of
rhizomes that might break off in a major storm could survive in Back
River to colonize other areas, especially if the storm reduced the
salinity in the river. Does anyone know if this is correct? Also, would
the seeds remain viable if they were transported to another location by
Back River?

If the homeowners were convinced to remove their Fallopia japonica, what
would be the best way to eradicate it so near the water? Something like
Rodeo plus a non-ionic surfactant?

Thanks for your advice.

Judy

Judith P. Fulton
Consultant, University of Maryland Extension
Master Gardener, University of Maryland Extension
Chair, Maryland Invasive Species Council Subcommittee on Invasives Lists
410-337-3701
jfulton5 at gmail.com