[MAIPC] Fallopia japonica

Ellis, Michael Michael.Ellis at pgparks.com
Sat Sep 3 07:35:00 PDT 2016

Good morning Judy,

Your fear that rhizomes or other plant pieces could break up and form new infestations in the river is very well justified. This species is notorious for aggressively spreading to new areas along waterways and floodplains. However, I do not know the salinity range the species can tolerate. My understanding is that Japanese knotweed rarely sets seed, as we discussed at the July meeting of the Invasive Species Council (MISC).  Treating with Rodeo is a very good choice for these habitats. If exclusively treating cut-stump, surfactant wouldn't be added, but if treating foliar, you would add the non-ionic surfactant. Indicator dye would be good to add to ensure all plants are treated, but dye can get messy.

A good read from the USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS):
https://efotg.sc.egov.usda.gov/references/public/mn/797japaneseknotweed.pdf

"Japanese knotweed control should take a watershed perspective, from the headwaters downstream, as the primary dispersal mechanism is by water (both seeds and plant fragments). Control of knotweed must be well thought out due to the extensive root system and sprouting ability as well as the site limitations. Knotweed frequently infests riparian areas near streams which add complexity to any control plan."

Pen State also has a great guide: http://plantscience.psu.edu/research/projects/vegetative-management/publications/roadside-vegetative-mangement-factsheets/5managing-knotweed-on-roadsides

>From the Home and Garden Information Center, University of Maryland Extension:

Japanese Knotweed/Mexican Bamboo (Polygonum cuspidatum) The hollow shoots of this Japanese native have knotty bamboo-like joints. Flowers are greenish-white. Aggressive roots, 2-3 feet deep, enable it to form exclusive clumps, 6-8 feet tall, in sun or shade. CONTROL: Before late-summer flowering, cut at least 3 times per season and treat freshly cut stumps and/or foliage with glyphosate. Black plastic mulch will kill.

Hopefully a biological control will come at some point...

Take care,

Michael Ellis
Non-Native Invasive Plant Management Field Coordinator
Park Ranger Office, Natural and Historical Resources Division
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission

240-429-5042