[MAIPC] Corydalis incisa: what is PFAF?

Muth, Norris (MUTH) MUTH at juniata.edu
Wed Sep 7 09:06:28 PDT 2016

This exchange brings up a very important and often overlooked issue with invasive species – which is to note where they are/might be invasive. And likewise with native plants – native plants can really only be native to somewhere, and I’m as guilty as any in often failing to mention where. In a talk to a specific audience, in a specific location, the content might readily be inferred accurately enough. But as talks make their way online, and as much of the information on invasive and native species is largely online, the risk of getting confusing information is very high. This information on C. incisa might be a case in point – parts of the webpage indicate USDA hardiness – one would think the other information on invasiveness might also be with respect to the US/North America. When left unstated it certainly opens up the opportunity for confusion.

Bottom line – a good reminder that we might all want to be more careful about specifying the regions where species are native and invasive – particularly with anything that ends up online.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Norris Z. Muth, Associate Professor of Biology
muth at juniata.edu<mailto:muth at juniata.edu>

office: 1054 VonLiebig Center for Science
Office Hours Fall 2016
MWF 9-9:30, MW 11-11:30,  or by appointment

Juniata College
1700 Moore St.
Huntingdon, PA 16652
tel: 814-641-3632