[MAIPC] What PATC is doing about Wavyleaf Basket Grass

HTI Gmail historictimekeepers at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 06:47:35 PDT 2016

Below is the information I have compiled for PATC workers regarding
wavyleaf basketgrass.  Thank you to Anstr Davidson, Stephanie Chapman,
Kerrie Kyde, Mark Frey and Marian Orlousky for their input.

Feel free to use this text with your workers, including the link to the
PATC (Potomac Appalachian Trail Club website where workers can find a
PDF file that includes many photos for their information. You also have
permission to use the PDF file in you education efforts.  Marian
Orlousky of ATC-MARO created it.

*If anyone owns the photo showing the distinct edge where WLBG and
stiltgrass meet, I would like to include that in an article that would
reach PATC's 7000 members. *Please send it to me in best res and with
your credits.  Thanks.

It would help me if you let me know if you use this info with your
organization.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR TRAILWORKERS

This is to make you aware of a spreading invasive plant that is even of
much greater concern than japanese stiltgrass.  Unlike stiltgrass, this
weed (wavyleaf basketgrass) (WLBG) is a perennial and the plants regrow
from existing root systems as well as dispersal by seed.  It was first
found in Patapsco Valley State Park in Maryland around 1996 and has
since spread throughout the understory of that park.  It is spreading in
Virginia and may be in Pennsylvania as well.

Together, these two plants have a devastating impact on forest habitat.
   Stiltgrass thrives in sun (edge), and WLBG thrives in shade (deep
forest). This is of concern to anyone who uses the forest:
photographers, birders, botanists and hunters.Like stiltgrass, it
displaces food sources and nesting sites for wildlife.  If we locate
colonies before they are established, we can "eradicate" them from that
site.

NOTE:On Sept. 21 I was notified by USFS Botanist Stephanie Chapman that
wavyleaf was found and treated at a tool cache near the Massanutten
Visitor Center.We have to assume we humans are moving this stuff around.

This is *not limited to the AT*.  Please report all instances of
wavyleaf basketgrass no matter where it is found.

Best Practices for Trail Workers to Protect Public and Personal Property

1.RECOGNIZE,AVOID, REPORT let the pros destroy it. *This is the
single most important thing we can do!*

2.Avoid using personal equipment unless you are pretty sure your
trail is clean (Eddmaps)  (
https://www.eddmaps.org/distribution/viewmap.cfm?sub=79593 )

3.Remove all seeds on clothing, shoes and equipment with duct
tape BEFORE leaving the site (Bag and arrange for incinerating the waste
if possible; avoid sending in unsealed container (paint can) to landfill)

4.Put a plastic bag over the trimmer head

5.Clean boot treads with a screwdriver

6.Use Nylon clothing

This is the game from August to February!

Read the Alert (PDF file) very carefully. Direct questions to your land
unit manager or the PATC Club Naturalist (Dewey Clark) at
historictimekeepers at gmail.com <mailto:historictimekeepers at gmail.com>.
*The main danger we want workers to avoid is bringing the seed to your
personal property or moving seed from infested sites to anywhere else. *
It is important to recognize, avoid and report this plant so the land
manager can eradicate it from your site.  Fall and winter are the times
of highest risk.  The seeds are extremely sticky; read the alert located
here:

http://www.patc.net/PATC/News/Wavyleaf_Basketgrass_Alert.aspx

In this version of the alert you have has much more information than the
signage being placed on *all **PATC maintained trails* (except in
certain National Park Units which require approval).

Please feel free to share this with any of your foresters; some
professionals may not yet be aware of this.  The information has been
thoroughly vetted by ecologists from almost every one of PATC's partners.

If you are inclined, there is an App available for identification and
reporting (including location and photos) to a database used by our
partners.  The App is called MAEDN  and be found here:
http://apps.bugwood.org/apps/mid-atlantic/

It is easy to use but may take some explaining.  We can provide classes
if you want; and we do have people already using it in SNP who can help
with questions.

Or, please send your alerts to  ATC-MARO at
invasive at appalachinatrail.org <mailto:invasive at appalachinatrail.org>.
Photos and trail section info will help greatly.  If you would, CC
historictimekeepers at gmail.com <mailto:historictimekeepers at gmail.com>so
we can ensure the non-AT trail land managers are informed.__

Regards,

Dewey Clark
Club Naturalist
Co-District Manager (PA)