[MAIPC] Akebia quinata control

Mark Frey runcator at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 04:40:53 PDT 2017

All

Have you successfully control Akebia quinata?

Last year we treated some Akebia quinata for the first time (with
glyphosate) and had very poor control. I see one reference online to a
Zedaker and Burch study (2001) so I have reached out to Prof. Zedaker.
Other than that I see minimal information online, primarily generic
descriptions such as these:

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/Invasives/fact/FiveleafAkebia.html
Foliar spray of systemic herbicides 2-5 % solution of triclopyr (Garlon® 3A
and Garlon® 4) and 2-4% solution of glyphosate should be applied in summer
to fall.

http://www.cabi.org/isc/datasheet/3933
Treatment with 2-4% triclopyr in water can be applied to control A.
quinata. Best results occur when treated during spring/early summer many
desirable plants are present during this time. Therefore a fall/dormant
treatment followed by spot treatments during the growing season is often
advisable (Zedaker and Burch, 2001).

I'd love to know if you have had success. If not we may try and set up a
trial.

Thanks,
Mark Frey