[MAIPC] non-chemical shrub control techniques

Mark Frey runcator at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 15:35:25 PDT 2017

All

I have many large invasive shrubs (mostly Viburnum plicatum and Lonicera
maackii) in the county park near me. I am not able to use herbicide in this
setting and the plants are mostly too large for a weed wrench. I would like
to do a simple trial testing a handful of techniques in the late summer and
the same techniques in the spring. Here are my ideas so far:

Cut at 24 inches (facilitates repeated cutting)
Cut as low as possible low
Cut and peel back the bark (appears to help kill broom)
Tarp (works well on Eucalyptus)

Are there any techniques you have seen work better than others for
non-chemical shrub control?

Thanks,
Mark Frey