[MAIPC] Deer management and Lyme disease prevention follow-up

Richard Gardner rtgardner3 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 23 08:42:45 PDT 2017

I take some very basic precautions: 1. I avoid areas with high grass whenever possible. 2. I walk with bare legs so the ticks have little to hide in such as pants. I wear hiking kilts and skirts which reduce the number of places ticks can grab onto and hide. Mountain Hardwear for hiking kilts and Purple Rain Adventure Skirts for hiking skirts and kilts. (Chafing I handle by applying Palmer's Tummy Butter between my legs.) 3. After a walk, socks and other clothing are removed and put in the laundry pile in our basement, away from places ticks can spread through the house and living spaces. 4. In the shower I use a plastic mesh scrubby on my legs to remove debris, ticks and similar issues. 5. I spray down my legs with rubbing alcohol to clean scratches and remove ticks. A plant sprayer works great or take the actuator from a plant sprayer and put it on a 1 quart  bottle of isopropanol. To keep the cost down, I buy 1 gallon jugs of livestock grade isopropanol.
 We walk year round and have for many years. So far neither my wife or I have had problems.
                                       Richard Gardner