[MAIPC] new blog - why does USDA not penalize every shipment of wood packaging that violates law?

phytodoer at aol.com phytodoer at aol.com
Tue Dec 5 07:22:14 PST 2017

Hi, forest pest mavens!

I have posted a new blog at www.cisp.us or www.nivemnic.us which asks why USDA has not changed its policy of allowing importers to violate wood pacakging regulations 4 times in a year before imposing a penalty.  As you may remember, Customs made that change this fall - as of November Customs is free to penalize any shipment that violates ISPM#15.  As noted in my blog in October, every year Customs detects thousands of non-compliant shipments! More aggressive enforcement seems essential!

Faith