[MAIPC] Thornless Multiflora rose

Tiiu Mayer tiiuinmd at verizon.net
Sun Feb 12 05:06:34 PST 2017

Hello weed warriors -

While taking advantage of the mild weather to remove multiflora rose, bittersweet and other pests  from my fields, I encountered a thornless multiflora rose.

Does anyone think this is interesting or useful?    It is available for scientific purposes if you think so!  I chopped it back but left the base (usually I try to get out as much root and ball as possible.)

Could it possibly  be used to influence the growth of other multiflora rose?

If you can only clear every few years, the work would go much faster not having to work around thorns.    Animals might be more inclined to browse it and help keep it in check.  These are two benefits that immediately spring to mind.

Tiiu Mayer
UME Master Gardener, Baltimore County