[MAIPC] Impacts to tourism from invasive species

frazmo frazmo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 16:45:09 PST 2017

Hi Amy, I have a couple quick thoughts here. It would help to have a model
of the types of potential impacts and then seek to apply monetary values to
each type.

For example, a simple type of impact would be physical denial or severe
impairment of access. The severe aquatic weed buildups in some lakes and
rivers obviously impact tourism. Another case that caught my attention was
how dense stands of Japanese Knotweed along Pennsylvania rivers were
destroying the fly fishing activities since casting was impossible.

The second type of impact that comes to mind is ecotourism to see
biodiversity. As I think we will all agree, ecosystems that have been
overrun by invasives become depauperate in their original endemic species.
Thus, they will be less likely to attract ecotourism since the cool native
species will either be absent or reduced in numbers...

I am sure other types of impacts could be identified. The harder and
possibly fun part would be to try to monetize the value of these impacts,
and that goes way outside my realm...

I hope this is helpful.  Cheers, Steve Young, Arlington VA, Volunteer