[MAIPC] The New Wild--critiquing another polemic against habitat restoration

Stephen Hiltner stevehiltner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 06:44:45 PST 2017

In a continuing effort to do some post-2016 bubble breaking, I've posted a
critique at NewsCompanion.com <http://newscompanion.com/> of yet another
book that demonizes habitat restorationists. The post is entitled The New
Wild (and crazy ideas about nature)
<http://newscompanion.blogspot.com/2017/03/the-new-wild-and-crazy-ideas-about.html>
.

I also posted a version of the critique in the review section on
Amazon.com. If you want to mark the review as "helpful", you can access it
by clicking here
<https://www.amazon.com/New-Wild-Invasive-Species-Salvation/product-reviews/0807039551/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&sortBy=recent>
and
then scrolling down.

The News Companion post starts with a suggestion for bursting your own and
others' bubbles:

In this post-2016 election world, many of us are seeking ways to break out
of our bubbles and help others to do the same. I have a suggestion. If you
have an area of knowledge and experience, seek out the books being written
on that subject, particularly those you're likely to disagree with.
Amazon.com and Goodreads.com offer a convenient way to do this without
necessarily buying the book. You may well find some wild and crazy ideas
being peddled, and even more disturbing, large choirs of adherents giving
those books high marks in the review section. Perhaps your own views will
be challenged in the process, or maybe you will be astonished by how
biased, arrogant, and misleading the books are, and how gullible the
readers. If the latter, then go ahead, break their bubble. Write a review
that will help people think more critically about what they are reading, or
about to read. It's better than just preaching to the choir on facebook,
and you're impact could extend beyond the bookreading world. Misleading
books beget misleading articles by misled journalists, spreading the
misinformation far and wide.

Steve
NewsCompanion.com <http://newscompanion.com/>
PrincetonNatureNotes.org <http://princetonnaturenotes.org/>