[MAIPC] Five-fingered Aralia Spotted in Baltimore City

Kate Wagner kaitlynwagnermusic at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 08:39:05 PDT 2018

Hello MA-IPC,

I wanted to alert the listserve that I've spotted a developing stand of
Five-fingered Aralia
<http://www.eddmaps.org/midatlantic/distribution/county.cfm?sub=57528&id=us_md_24510>
(*Eleutherococcus sieboldianus*) in Baltimore City. The plant, which does
not appear to have been intentionally planted, has colonized approximately
35 square feet of an embankment in Wyman Park. The report has been verified
on EDDMapS.  <http://www.eddmaps.org/distribution/record.cfm?id=7638330> This
is the first verified sighting of the plant in Maryland in EDDMapS since
May 2016
<http://www.eddmaps.org/midatlantic/distribution/usstate.cfm?sub=57528>,
and is the first in Baltimore City. My hope is that this is an isolated
incident and that the plant has merely escaped from a nearby ornamental
planting. I plan on taking a closer look on my walk tomorrow.

Links to pictures of the specimen: Image 1
<https://secure.bugwoodcloud.org/eddmaps/images/report/3072x2048/7638330_1.jpg>,
Image 2
<https://secure.bugwoodcloud.org/eddmaps/images/report/3072x2048/7638330_3.jpg>,
Image 3
<https://secure.bugwoodcloud.org/eddmaps/images/report/3072x2048/7638330_2.jpg>

Since I did not see any prior Baltimore area reports of the plant on either
iNaturalist or EDDMapS, I wanted to make sure the listserve was made aware
of this sighting just in case.

Best wishes,
Kate Wagner.