[MAIPC] Now is a good time.

Marc Imlay ialm at erols.com
Thu Aug 9 04:07:01 PDT 2018

.Unfortunately people who find dead patches of Japanese stilt grass because of rust are not finding it at the same place next year. Now is the time of year to go to sites where Japanese stiltgrass is being removed by Bipolaris microstegii to determine the other host or hosts besides stiltgrass for the rust? How about not just sending the plaque specimen for ID but physically traveling to the exact site to see what other critter is hosting the rust besides Microstegium such as soy. This would be a potential component of the biocontrol.

Marc Imlay, PhD, Chair, MAIPC Biological control working Group,  MD Chapter Sierra Club Natural Places Chair.

Conservation biologist, Park Ranger Office, Non-native Invasive Plant Control coordinator.
(301) 442-5657 cell   <mailto:ialm at erols.com> ialm at erols.com
Natural and Historical Resources Division
The  Maryland-National   Capital   Park  and Planning Commission
 <http://www.pgparks.com/> www.pgparks.com