[MAIPC] June is here JSG

Richard Gardner rtgardner3 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 23 09:31:42 PDT 2018

 Has anyone tried horticultural vinegar as a spray on this?
    On Saturday, June 23, 2018, 10:35:33 AM EDT, Marc Imlay <ialm at erols.com> wrote:

In the 200 acre Swann Park in Charles County, there are 3 places where I have seen a pathogen infestation of Japanese Stilt grass. Only one of these sites has been re infested in subsequent years. Today I transferred some of the site with an August pathogen infestation of Japanese Stilt grass that  has been re infested in subsequent years to a bad patch of JSG elsewhere in the park with similar habitat. (from the Mattawoman watershed part of Swann Park to the Pomonkey watershed component of Ruth B. Swann Park). I marked the site and will return to check it out each month.

Let us discuss other ideas to address control of our most difficult invasive plant to control.  One urgent research question is to determine if reduction of deer to the natural level of 20/square mile works as well as deer exclosures in reducing JSG. How can we facilitate research into native host specific biological controls of JSG.

 Marc Imlay, PhD, Chair, MAIPC Biological control working Group,  MD Chapter Sierra Club Natural Places Chair.

Conservation biologist, Park Ranger Office, Non-native Invasive Plant Control coordinator.
(301) 442-5657 cell  ialm at erols.com
Natural and Historical Resources Division
The  Maryland-National   Capital   Park  and Planning Commission
www.pgparks.com