[MAIPC] Review of latest restoration-bashing book

Stephen Hiltner stevehiltner at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 10:36:23 PST 2018

Happy National Invasive Species Awareness Week. Here is a link (
http://rdcu.be/HSal
<http://em.rdcu.be/wf/click?upn=KP7O1RED-2BlD0F9LDqGVeSAozy2kVCPWefOlv11-2BrECc-3D_7b9b5v8ryITSPwCWQv5rP-2B1fX6Dd4aJkGuc46FAPzNpvFwNv1PWgPc6HMzP4W1cmnm-2FKkidwFfO0KZQmoUxXmbIQ4Ez-2FjKix3pwn8RlqfuFszS7i252RfQWMfoXJYBKD0Klclm9HSXhSro0IW1xxyEzm-2BvIJ2MBkMcftFIaypSmBax3FzA0jKM9OOv85iNIRzVfm0TPdgjfvfTlhMk80kbzaLQsI8e9z42xNFW2Z6bw-2Fh8MTVxAEQe8Mefv7oUTLQfBhyZoMdNhpZLYyKRixpg-3D-3D>)
to a review I just had published in the journal *Biological Invasions*, of
Chris Thomas's book, *Inheritors of the Earth*, which uses the same
techniques as books by Marris, Pearce, Thompson, and Orion to demonize
conservationists and claim that invasive species aren't a problem after
all.

Thomas recasts invasives as winners, and likes to make provocative
statements, like "Mix the species up and see who wins." The book is
promoted as a needed dose of optimism, but the optimism is mostly in the
form of come back in a million years and see how nature has recovered (or
not). I point out various contradictions, conspicuous omissions, and the
generally faulty logic that uniformed readers will not notice.

Steve
https://newscompanion.blogspot.com/search/label/Invasive%20Species
PrincetonNatureNotes.org