[MAIPC] scale insect decimating native Phragmitis in Louisiana

Stephen Hiltner stevehiltner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 03:19:37 PDT 2018

For anyone who saw the article about an introduced scale insect decimating
marshlands in Louisiana, if you read deep into the article, you finally
learn that the reed the introduced scale attacks is the native
Phragmitis--what is called "gulf roseau cane." Another article
<http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/fishing/roseau-cane-scale-delta> speculates
that the scale insect, the Roseau cane mealy bug (Nipponaclerda
biwakoensis,from China and Japan) could attack sorghum and sugar cane as
well. This article includes a map
<http://www.nola.com/environment/index.ssf/2017/04/scientists_finally_identify_pe.html>
of the affected area.

It's interesting to read in the NY Times article (text below) that the
native version of Phragmitis, which I had always heard was less robust,
still exists, and outcompetes the European genotype in Louisiana. The
article warns of the downsides of the European version, but it's not clear
how the native Phrag could have been outcompeting the European while not
exhibiting the European genotype's negative traits.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/02/24/us/louisiana-
wetlands-insects.html

Multiple forms of roseau grow in the delta. The one thought to be native,