[MAIPC] Greetings from your PA Representative

Marian Orlousky morlousky at appalachiantrail.org
Thu Mar 22 07:09:24 PDT 2018

Allow me to introduce myself,

My name is Marian Orlousky and I've been serving as one of your two Pennsylvania board representatives for a little over two years. I first became interested in invasive ecology during my time as a seasonal at Valley Forge National Historical Park, in King of Prussia, PA. I worked in the park following the completion of my B.S. in Biology from Juniata College, and here I was introduced to invasive issues and plant herbivore interactions in a big way! Valley Forge made for an excellent study on the impacts of invasive species on native flora, and the impacts of deer herbivory on species dynamics and competitive advantage. My time at Valley Forge led me to pursue graduate studies in ecology and natural resource management at SUNY-ESF, and for the past six years I’ve been working as a natural resource manager for the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC).

I'm based in the Mid-Atlantic ATC office in my home town of Boiling Springs, PA, and I manage our natural resource programs across the northern half of the Appalachian Trail (A.T.). This position has afforded me the opportunity to work with a wide variety of natural resource issues, and to collaborate with many folks from the MAIPC membership. While my work at the Conservancy is greatly focused on the nexus of natural resource and recreational issues, I'm personally interested in system and regional level management approaches that aim to restore and protect an array of functional and connected habitats.

One of the greatest challenges I face in my work is related to the barriers established through misunderstandings and misinformation regarding the natural environment, how it functions, and its greatest threats. Not all green is created equal, and not all brown is bad. It is my mission as a scientist and a practicing land manager to share the information I've learned through my work, so the members of my community can hopefully make well informed decisions when caring for their lands. I’ll challenge everyone in in the MAIPC membership to share your knowledge with someone in your life (friend, relative, neighbor, co-worker, etc.), to help foster a better understanding of the environment in which we live and the impacts our personal actions can have on that environment.

Thank you for being a part of the Mid-Atlantic Invasive Plant Council! I hope to meet more of you at our next event.

Marian Orlousky
Northern Resource Management Coordinator
Appalachian Trail Conservancy
4 East First Street
Boiling Springs, PA 17007
Direct Line: 717-260-3217
MARO Office: 717-258-5771 ex: 208
Fax: 717.258.1442
morlousky at appalachiantrail.org<mailto:morlousky at appalachiantrail.org>
www.appalachiantrail.org<http://www.appalachiantrail.org/>

[http://www.appalachiantrail.org/images/logos/atc_logo_email_version.png?Status=Master]

The Appalachian Trail Conservancy’s mission is to preserve and manage the Appalachian Trail – ensuring that its vast natural beauty and priceless cultural heritage can be shared and enjoyed today, tomorrow, and for centuries to come. To become a member, volunteer, or learn more, visit www.appalachiantrail.org<http://www.appalachiantrail.org/>.