[MAIPC] A conjecture on invasive vines and tree falls

frazmo frazmo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 14:18:07 PDT 2018

I appreciate the feedback on my invasive vines and treefalls post. And I
agree with the points Jil makes about English Ivy directly damaging trees.
In addition to what Jil mentions, from my own observations over many years
and hundreds of trees, dense ivy growth around the base of a tree creates a
microclimate conducive to harm: shady, moist, and lacking in airflow. I
tend to find rotting bark under the ivy if it had been there for some time.
That microclimate must facilitate the introduction of fungal and bacterial
pathogens, and possibly insect attack also. In my personal volunteer work,I
try to remove the ivy at the immediate base of the tree as much as I can
while conscious ot trying to avoid creating further damage. Sometimes I see
the tree trying to heal itself from the damage; sometimes not. I have taken
many photographs showing the kind of damage I am talking about. So ivy can
cause gross damage and weaken trees as Jil discusses and I'm elaborating
upon. In speaking of "ghost impacts" I am thinking about more subtle
effects that would be underground, out of sight even when the ivy is gone.

Again, thanks for the discussion and ideas. Cheers,  Steve Young, Arlington