[MAIPC] A Sweet Solution to a Sticky Problem - Fighting Phragmites with Sugar?

Jil Swearingen jilswearingen at gmail.com
Sat May 5 08:02:10 PDT 2018

Hi,

I'd like to thank Hess Muse for forwarding this article to me.
https://usfwsnortheast.wordpress.com/2018/04/04/a-sweet-solution-to-a-sticky-problem/

Looking for improved and non-herbicidal ways to control the widespread
invasive Eurasian *Phragmites australis *in the extensive salt marsh of the
Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge in Maine, researchers looked into
using sugar to alter the soil chemistry in a way that would inhibit the growth
of *Phragmites*.

The rationale is that adding sugar (glucose) to the soil increases the
growth of anaerobic bacteria which make hydrogen sulfide which, at high
levels, can be toxic to *Phragmites*. Native salt marsh plants are
(supposedly) better adapted to the hydrogen sulfide. They conducted
greenhouse and field trials that showed promising results.

While this is in the very early stages of investigation, it's encouraging
to see research into new and novel ways of controlling invasive plants.
Tests should also be conducted to determine the impact of this method on
our native American *Phragmites *to see if it responds differently to the
increased hydrogen sulfide than the Eurasian species.

I'm copying FWS Biologist Dr. Susan Adamowicz and University of New
Hampshire Dr. David Burdick, Interim Director at the Jackson Estuarine
Laboratory, who teamed up to conduct this research, to allow them the
opportunity to reply.

Thank you,

Jil

Jil Swearingen