[MAIPC] Garlic mustard

Susan Gitlin susan.mclaughlin at alumni.stanford.edu
Sun Nov 11 13:19:21 PST 2018

Today in Rockbridge County, VA, I noticed myriad bunches of large-leaved
garlic mustard.  I do not recall seeing them this last in previous years,
but, then again, I never remember that in the fall it gets dark so early.

The garlic mustard seems to be enjoying the lack of competition for the
sun's rays, as the trees around shrubs around it have lost their leaves to
autumn.  I am wondering whether this garlic mustard is still in its
first-year stage and just has not yet died back, or whether it is second
year growth coming in early and could possibly bolt and flower soon.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

--Susan