[MAIPC] new thread on control of Incised Fumewort Corydalis incisa

Milo Pyne Milo_Pyne at natureserve.org
Wed Oct 10 10:01:21 PDT 2018

I have been monitoring, and trying to control, a population of Incised Fumewort<https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/447077> Corydalis incisa<https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/447077> on a property in tennessee since April 2015; as far as I know this is the only report for Tennessee (although there could be a lot more of it out there that people are just unaware of).

Despite efforts at hand pulling, it has continued to spread. The seeds are dispersed by the explosive seed pods (Ballochory is a type of dispersal where the seed is forcefully ejected by explosive dehiscence<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dehiscence_(botany)#Explosive_dehiscence> of the fruit)… so despite being careful they go everywhere… !

So the thing is a winter annual; so the time to get it is now! Yesterday I thought I would try my “vinegar-soap-salt” combo spray; and it has worked great! The Corydalis is growing in a mass of Euonymus fortunei so there is no chance of collateral damage to non-target plants… In 24 hours the little delicate seedlings were all totally wilted!

When I went back out this morning I spotted a few more and hosed them too… so I hesitate to say “control” because I am sure more seeds will sprout, but this give me some hope we can prevent it from spreading. Please watch out for this plant; it would be hard to spot in the winter… and would be very similar to native Corydalis …

Milo Pyne