[MAIPC] weed whacker plastic

Servis, Robert Robert.Servis at montgomeryparks.org
Mon Sep 17 06:46:33 PDT 2018

I have always wondered this myself, and just hoped that I was doing more good by weed whacking the invasives, than I was bad by littering the plastic string. I just think of all of the landscaping companies who use weed whacker string on a daily basis (much of the year), all of the private home owners, maintenance divisions of all sizes on all levels, etc.  It really is a lot of string and a lot of plastic over the weeks/months/years, we just don’t usually notice it as it mixes in with all the other grass clippings and gets lost. This stuff comes on relatively large spools and I’ve seen work crews go through multiple spools in a growing season, none of that string makes it to a trash can, its just dispersed all over in tiny pieces.

I did see online that there are several options for biodegradable weed whacker string, but I have not had experience using it.  If anyone who may have experience using a  biodegradable weed whacker string would like to share their thoughts on its performance I would certainly be interested.
I can certainly understand the question here, and maybe this is a small change you can make personally that will still accomplish the goal.  I didn’t really think much of it until this point was raised, but it is something that I will consider moving forward.
The job still needs to get done, but if we can do it and not put any more plastics into the environment than we already do, why not?!
Just my thoughts