[MAIPC] Invasive plants and climate change

frazmo frazmo at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 10:08:34 PST 2019

One other one that belatedly came to mind is Mimosa. Not that it's one of
our biggest issues. But anecdotally,  our normal DC-area winters used to
get cold enough so that Mimosas seemed to get killed off pretty regularly.
Within the last 20 years my sense is that we aren't seeing nearly as much
winter kill and more of them are popping up.

Off on a tangent, another possible confounder for invasives in general is
micro-evolutionary selection pressure. As but one example, I think I see
this going on literally under my nose with Italian Arum, where I think
selection pressures are breeding the more aggressive spreaders. There are
probably many other and better examples. Garlic Mustard? Lesser Celandine?
Etc.

Cheers,  Steve Young,  Arlington VA