[MAIPC] Spotted Lanternfly and Gypsy moth photos, Spring 2019

Richard Gardner rtgardner3 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 15 04:21:10 PDT 2019

https://www.slideshare.net/rtgardner3/spotted-lanternfly-and-gypsy-moth-spring-2019

I finally finished this PPT on the Spotted Lanternfly and Gypsy Moth for this spring. This is only a small portion of the photos I have taken this spring (and in the last year), mostly within 10 miles of our home. Gypsy moth was included as I see it as a much greater threat than SLF due to its greater density in forests of all types from urban to wild and the greater range of trees it feeds on.
I see SLF as primarily a nuisance, rather than a threat because it is in our faces and limited in its food sources. This and the work I have been doing on the American Chestnut, Castanea dentata, makes me wary of much of what Penn State does because what I find in the field does not agree with much of their doctrine and their mistakes cling to my legs as I walk the local trails. Perhaps it is the arrogance of the supposed infallibility of science and the belief that humans positively affect this world that really scares me. Every time I walk my backyard and the trails near home I am horrified with our naive assumption that we can improve systems 4.5 billion years old. Ecology is truly the dreadful science and possibly the most depressing of all the fields of human study.
Anyway, we need to keep walking and spend more time in the field observing and learning with open minds than trying to solve supposed problems. I would much rather study a system for my lifetime, doing nothing more than spread my limited understandings to those around me than tinker and cause problems which take 1000 years to resolve.
As long as I am cited "Richard Gardner, Spring 2019", you may use the material as you see fit. As always, anyone who wants to join me is welcome to do so.
              Walk more. Tinker less.
                                               Richard Gardner                                               Spring 2019