[MAIPC] new outreach on forest pest issues

phytodoer at aol.com phytodoer at aol.com
Tue Mar 19 12:08:59 PDT 2019

1) I have posted a new blog at www.cisp.us or www.nivemnic.us    This blog analyzes the recently adopted conservation legislation which enacts provisions long supported by Senator Barasso of Wyoming and western weed scientists intended to focus federal agencies' invasive species programs on "on the ground" activities.  In my comments, I summarize the "Tackling the Challenge" document adopted by the National Environmental Coalition on Invasive Species (NECIS) and provide a link to it.
2) Gary Lovett and his colleagues at the Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies have started a Twitter account to distribute information on invasive forest insects and diseases in international trade.  Please follow @treeSMARTtrade on Twitter and contribute news, events, photos and research on international movement of forest pests and their impacts on forests and communities. You can send the information through Twitter or by email to tst at caryinstitute.org .
I will post additional blogs in the near future on promising developments in Missouri (hogs) and Florida (invasive plants), USDA Forest Service funding, complications in relying on biocontrol to manage the emerald ash borer ... and other topics!

Faith