[MAIPC] [External] Slate Article on Japanese Knotweed

frazmo frazmo at gmail.com
Thu May 9 08:58:07 PDT 2019

I definitely agree that knotweed is being spread by dispersal of viable
fragments through events like flooding but also significantly by direct
human activities where contaminated fill is applied to a site and/or
contaminated equipment is used at a new location. My favorite example is is
Maine where I observed many utility poles, each surrounded by a patch of
knotweed, and surmised that contaminated auger drills had been used to
"plant" the poles. Quite the way to vector the problem widely. Admittedly
that's personal observation and conjecture.