[MAIPC] Tree assessment

Heidi Allen rundvm at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 13:10:14 PST 2021

PlantNOVATrees is working on creating an assessment of the at risk trees in
Northern VA. We are attempting to follow some of the same guidelines as was
present in the recent Takoma Park, MD study which found 5,000 at risk trees
in a 2 square mile area. But, we are stumbling on how to define an at risk
tree. The definition so far states that a tree is at risk if there is
concern it will succumb within 5 years to the NNI vines if no action is
taken. Obviously a mature canopy tree with only a few vines as the base
would be considered a low risk and a tree smothered with vines a high risk.
But, does anyone know if there is any standard that can be utilized (% of
trunk covered with evergreen vines, etc) for trees in between. It may vary
with species and/ or type of vine. We are currently reaching out the
primary group that did the Takoma Park study, but also wanted to get input
from others.

Thank you
Heidi