[MAIPC] invasive plant removal

John Lampe john at wowcoweb.com
Fri Apr 10 14:48:34 PDT 2015

Here are my two cents on dealing with the woody plant debris:

In the last 5 years or so we have generally stopped piling up buckthorn, honeysuckle, etc.  The piles don’t break down quickly and start getting bigger and bigger.  When the invasives grow through the piles, you have a real mess.

We cut the woody plants into smaller pieces with loppers while they are green and let the debris lie on the ground.  If you are in a wetter part of the country, it will break down rapidly.  Here’s video of this process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqBKi8CpabQ  Although we use cut stump treatments, I think the same technique could be used with mechanical processes.   For industrial scale projects, perhaps this won’t work, but if you have volunteers who like to use loppers or smaller tracts, it can work well.

John

John K. Lampe

651-245-4682

 <mailto:john at greenshootsonline.com> john at greenshootsonline.com