[MAIPC] does Chlorox work on cut stems?

Richard Johnstone ivmpartners at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 12:29:26 PDT 2015

Ruth,
It is such a disservice to natural resource managers that fear mongering
over the word "pesticide" leads ill-informed groups, townships, etc to
consider banning pesticide use; and what wise expert decides what
constitutes an "emergency"?  I have also heard proposals to use steam to
kill weeds, not mentioning that the steam will kill unsuspecting insects,
amphibians, birds and other wildlife that happens to be at the receiving
end of the boiling water.

Pesticides that are available for our use have gone through years of
testing and research and are licensed by the EPA and State Departments of
Agriculture for specific uses and application rates, as noted on their
labels - which constitute federal law under the Federal Insecticide,
Fungicide, Rodenticide Act or FIFRA.  Most of the problems we hear in the
media are caused by individuals using pesticide products in violation of
the label instructions, which is a criminal act; i.e. recent bumble bee
kill in Oregon.  An herbicide probably used in your town for broadleaf weed
control, 2,4-D, just celebrated its 70th birthday and the sky did not
fall.  If you want to be concerned about chemicals, take a look at the
label warnings on cosmetics and the cleaning products you have under your
sink.

I am attending the Trilateral Conference (Canada, US, Mexico) in San Diego,
CA as I write this, where I just gave a presentation showing how we are
restoring milkweed and other wildflowers to benefit Monarch butterfly,
bees, birds, and other pollinators using herbicides judiciously applied to
control invasive plants and problem species.  We need to restore millions
of acres of prairie habitat in North America over the next few years to
insure the survival of Monarchs, native bees and songbirds.  Herbicides are
a "tool in the tool box" to allow successful habitat restoration to occur.
So to you and others on this list serve, do us all a favor and speak out
against unnecessary bans on the use of pesticides, and only use them
according to label instructions.
Rick Johnstone

--
IVM Partners, Inc.
P.O. Box 9886

IVM Partners is a 501-C-3 non-profit corporation operated exclusively for
charitable, scientific, literary, and educational purposes to develop,
educate professionals and the public with respect to, and apply best
vegetation management and conservation practices and related activities.