[MAIPC] question about knotweed

frazmo frazmo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 11:00:45 PDT 2015

Another thing to consider about Japanese Knotweed is preventing new
infestations. As mentioned earlier, knotweed propagules spread downstream
along rivers and begin to choke the banks. Also, I have noticed from
personal observations in the mid-Atlantic and Maine that knotweed
infestations are connected with contaminated fill dirt and equipment. This
suggests the importance of avoiding use of fill dirt that may be
contaminated and seeking good equipment hygiene. In Maine, I saw knotweed
infestations around many highway-side utility poles. I suspect that
contaminated auger drills efficiently spread infestations from one hole to
the next. When new infestations do appear at fill sites and other
equipment-disturbance sites, obviously early detection and rapid response
are highly desirable. Cheers,

Steve Young, Arlington, VA
MAIPC Treasurer