[MAIPC] Ailanthus and Basalbark Treatment

Richard Gardner rtgardner3 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 12 07:51:14 PDT 2015

I prefer Drill and Fill instead because it uses less chemical, safer tools and less spillage.

With a cordless drill, drill a 3/8" hole 1" deep every 2" of girth at comfortable working height.  Spray in 50.2% glyphosate (purple cap Roundup) with a spray bottle.  Within 2 weeks the tree will be defoliating.  Check the tree after 6 weeks for green bark by scraping between the holes with a knife to make sure the tree is dead.  If not check it again in a few weeks.  I know that they are dead within 6 months, probably sooner.

Once you are sure the tree is dead, cut it down or it may break at the drill holes in a heavy wind.

One sure way of knowing the tree is dead or near dead is to look for white tubes of frass from holes in the bark made by the ambrosia beetle Euwallacea validus.

                                                                                                      Richard Gardner