[MAIPC] Phalaris arundinacea

Mark Frey runcator at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 07:43:11 PDT 2015

All

Do you treat Phalaris arundinacea? Everywhere?

This species likely has both native and non-native strains in North
America. When I worked in Ohio we treated it as non-native but many DC-area
floras treat it as native.

Some key references (thanks to Rob Soreng):
-Baldini, R. M. 1995. Revision of the genus Phalaris L. (Gramineae). Webbia
49(2): 265–329.
-Shetler, S. G., S. S. Orli, E. F. Wells & M. Bayersdorfer. 2006. Checklist
of the vascular plants of Plummers Island, Maryland – Contribution XXIX to
the natural history of Plummers Island, Maryland. Bull. Biol. Soc. Wash.
14: i–iii + 1–58.
-Ibrahim, K. M. & P. M. Peterson. 2014. Grasses of Washington, D.C.
Smithsonian Contr. Bot. 99: 1–128.

This may be informative but I don't yet have access to it:
Merigliano, M. F. & P. Lesica. 1998. The native status of reed canary grass
(Phalaris arundinacea L.) in the inland northwest, USA. Nat. Areas J. 18:
223–230.

Thanks,
Mark Frey