[MAIPC] Phalaris arundinacea

Richard Johnstone ivmpartners at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 09:11:52 PDT 2015

Information provided by our botanist Robin Haggie:
Rick

*Native status in North America*: There is some confusion as to the native
status of reed canarygrass in North America. Most North American floras
treat reed canarygrass as a native species [14
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#14>,50
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#50>,83
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#83>,87
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#87>,111
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#111>,
113
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#113>,
187
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#187>,
192
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#192>,
298
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#298>].
Publications from the inland Northwest [94
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#94>,97
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#97>,205
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#205>],
New Mexico [220
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#220>],
the Great Plains [59
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#59>],
the Great Lakes area [53
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#53>,128
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#128>,
130
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#130>,
195
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#195>,
246
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#246>],
Pennsylvania [309
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#309>],
Ontario [58
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#58>],
and Manitoba [213
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#213>]
consider reed canarygrass native in their area. However, a few publications
regard reed canarygrass as a nonnative in the Pacific Northwest [185
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#185>,
274
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#274>,
301
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#301>].

Evidence that reed canarygrass is native to at least some locations in
North America includes a study of historical documents and herbaria records
of reed canarygrass collected in the inland northwestern United States
prior to widespread European settlement in that area [205
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#205>].
Similarly, a study of herbaria records in Quebec found a few specimens of
reed canarygrass collected from remote locations during the 19th century,
supporting the contention that it is native there [170
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#170>].

Invasive populations of reed canarygrass occur in many areas throughout its
range, particularly in the northwestern [35
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#35>,66
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#66>,188
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#188>,
234
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#234>,
248
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#248>]
and north-central [15
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#15>,145
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#145>,
196
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#196>,
240
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#240>]
United States, and increasingly in eastern North America [170
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#170>].
It is generally thought that invasive populations are comprised of either
nonnative strains or hybrids between nonnative and native strains [58
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#58>,196
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#196>,
205
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#205>,
246
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#246>,
271
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#271>].
Researchers in Ontario [58
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#58>]
observed noninvasive populations of reed canarygrass in “native habitats”
along the shores of the northern Great Lakes and the upper Ottawa and
French rivers, as well as invasive populations in anthropogenically altered
landscapes. They speculated that noninvasive populations were native, while
invasive populations were the progeny of European cultivars [58
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#58>].
A genetic analysis of populations in Europe and North America (Vermont and
New Hampshire) indicates that invasive populations of reed canarygrass in
North America are comprised of genotypes resulting from multiple
introductions of European cultivars and subsequent interbreeding of these
populations [169
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#169>].
The long history of repeated introductions of reed canarygrass into North
America has resulted in substantially higher within-population genetic
diversity in its introduced range as compared with its native range,
allowing for rapid selection of novel genotypes and increased invasive
potential [169
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#169>].
See Genetic variability
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#Genetic%20variability>
for
a discussion of variable traits that may influence the invasiveness of reed
canarygrass.

Native populations of reed canarygrass that have not been exposed to gene
flow from nonnative strains may no longer occur in North America.
Additionally, morphological variability makes it difficult, if not
impossible, to distinguish between native and nonnative populations [205
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#205>].
Decisions to control populations of reed canarygrass may be based on its
impacts
<http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/phaaru/all.html#Impacts>
in
a given area rather than its ambiguous native status.

Reference:

--
IVM Partners, Inc.
P.O. Box 9886

IVM Partners is a 501-C-3 non-profit corporation operated exclusively for
charitable, scientific, literary, and educational purposes to develop,
educate professionals and the public with respect to, and apply best
vegetation management and conservation practices and related activities.