[MAIPC] Where does a lay person acquire Pathfinder II?

Richard Gardner rtgardner3 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 11 03:17:48 PDT 2015

  Ailanthus is easy.  Drill a 3/8 hole 1-2 inches deep every 2 inches of girth.  Spray in 50.2% Roundup (purple cap bottle).  Use smaller drill bits for smaller trees with holes closer together.  Leaves will turn yellow and start dropping within a week or so.   The alternative for Ailanthus is to plant lots of Asteraceae to attract the Ailanthus web worm (Atteva aurea) which will over the years chew the trees to death.  Also look for the Ailanthus mite (Aculops ailanthii) on leaves that appear crumpled or claw-shaped.  Along with this, they apparently bring in diseases which kill Ailanthus.     Multiflora rose in our area has rose rosette disease and in shady areas an apparent fungal pathogen taking it down.  I use a long pruning hook to cut the branches near the base and a spading fork to remove the roots.  Be careful, the thorns often shatter on skin contact and leave small pieces in the skin.   Bush honeysuckles can be pulled out by hand or the tougher ones using a "Puller Bear". The same with Oriental Bittersweet.  A note on the Oriental bittersweet - it has root clusters and long roots which make it hard to pull out.  My experience is that all the roots need to come out or it will resprout.   Japanese honeysuckle can be cut from trees and the roots pulled out.   Paper mulberry can be killed with Roundup the same as Ailanthus.  Smaller trees can be pulled out with a Puller Bear.   Japanese barberry - handle the same as multiflora rose.  Be careful with the thorns as they tend to irritate the skin.                                                                               Richard Gardner