[MAIPC] Thoughts on Italian Arum Control?

frazmo frazmo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 14:10:04 PST 2015

Italian Arum (*Arum italicum*) seems to be spreading in Arlington County,
Virginia both as an invader of natural areas and as a lawn weed, for
example in my own back yard. Over the last 5 years I have been seeing more
of it in my own yard (I never planted it) and in Long Branch Nature Center.
Because it has underground corms, I doubt that manual control will be
effective. It seems to expand vegetatively from the corms, and definitely
by seed dispersal. I have read that it seems to be resistant to control by
herbicides; see for example the discussion here:

http://www.nps.gov/cue/epmt/products/Arum%20italicum%202012%20NCREPMT.pdf

Now that it's autumn, the foliage has re-emerged. Does anyone have any
experience to share about control efforts? Both efforts that have worked
and efforts that have failed could be instructive... Thanks!