[MAIPC] beddleia infestation

Richard Gardner rtgardner3 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 22 06:37:29 PST 2015

  We saw our first infestation of buddleia in Pennsylvania on the Appalachian Trail above Palmerton.  What is the best way of taking care of this?  What is the most efficient?  Does a weed wrench or similar work?  It is on top of the mountain along a 5 mile stretch of AT between access points, so the tools have to be light enough to hike with.  Also, the ground was poisoned by a zinc smelter and then had forest fires removing the trees and most of the native vegetation many years ago.

  As a further note, this stretch has pockets of all the expected invasives, including stinging nettle, phragmites, Ailanthus, Japanese honeysuckle, Morrows honeysuckle and a fabaceae I am guessing is sweet pea.  The stinging nettle and phragmites near the top of the ridge were a surprise as the ridge is dry.  There are probably a couple water seeps for these two plants.

                                                                                        Richard Gardner