[MAIPC] FW: Stilt grass question

Richard Johnstone ivmpartners at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 08:53:46 PDT 2015

In a study we performed on a new clearing through a forest in Delaware for
an electric transmission line 20 years ago, we noticed a lack of
germinating plants under holly trees which were selectively retained along
the rights-of-way edge. We suspected allelopathic chemicals being leached
into the soil from holly leaf litter or some other means of transport.  Our
study did not have the financing to confirm this suspicion, but my study
partner Michael Robin Haggie of Chesapeake Wildlife Heritage, provided this
information on literature search:  Check out Elroy Rice’s text
“Allelopathy” p. 80. I only have the 2nd edition (1984) = most updated
edition? He cites Peterson’s research on the allelopathic effects of *Kalmia
angustifolia *on* Picea mariana*:

ref:
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/saf/fs/1965/00000011/00000004/art00022
but
he does not mention *Ilex opaca.* However if you read Rice’s book any intra
and inter specific phyto-chemical warfare, both above and below
underground, maybe possible! Elroy Rice also wrote “Biological Control of
Weeds and Plant Diseases” Oklahoma Press/Norman 1995, with which you are no
doubt acquainted. Plus “Pest Control with Nature’s Chemicals” Oklahoma
Press/Norman 1983.

PS- Haggie would like to be included in the listserve and his email address
is included.

Rick

--
IVM Partners, Inc.
P.O. Box 9886

IVM Partners is a 501-C-3 non-profit corporation operated exclusively for
charitable, scientific, literary, and educational purposes to develop,
educate professionals and the public with respect to, and apply best
vegetation management and conservation practices and related activities.